Garden Pavilion – Homage to a Benzoline Lighthouse
This project has transformed the ruins of a ‘Lighthouse’ weight tower with a Benzoline gas-generator into a garden pleasure pavilion. The original outbuilding, known as the ‘Lighthouse’ at Tamarleigh, once housed an ingenious and rare 1906 Benzoline-based gas generator. The ‘Lighthouse’ name derives from the tower end of the outbuilding, which housed the weight tower for the gas unit. A weight was wound up the tower, which under the force of gravity, supplied a constant mechanical pressure to produce a flow of gas to the house for lighting and cooking. Gas was created within a cylindrical tank unit, using a process that created gas from liquid Benzoline fuel. The process created an economical and high quality, hygienic gas with high quality light that was considered close to natural sunlight. This small-scale project, to create a little garden pleasure pavilion, set in course two ambitious objectives at Tamarleigh; firstly, a rescue mission to save the 1906 gas unit, and secondly, to create a new building referencing the original 1906 ‘Lighthouse’ outbuilding, to create a new place of reflection in the garden.
Structural engineer – Alan Leake
Building surveyor – Protek
Felix Blackman and Jack Birrell
People’s Choice Prize
1 Scone Street | Bento Box | Bonnet Hill Residences | Break O’Day Community Stadium | Brickworks Design Studio | Clarence High School Sports Pavilion | Devil’s Corner | Dunalley House | Five Yards House | Garden Pavilion – Homage to a Benzoline Lighthouse | Hatherley House Garden Pavilions | Horse Shoe House | Jenny’s House | Last Workshop & Apartment Battery, Point | New Town House | (re)barn | Sofia Otto’s Playground | Stornoway | The Corner Store | The Leven Centre | The Student Lounge | Three Capes Track Cabins | Trinity Hill Youth Accommodation & Training Facility | UTAS – Student Centre | UTAS, Tasmanian School of Business and Economics – Centenary Building | UTAS Inveresk Residences | Vodafone Contact Centre Hobart